"KEEP ME UPDATED" on https://briarproject.org/ is partly broken and breaks some laws in some countries
This "KEEP ME UPDATED" seems to be not that proper done.
- When you did not enter any email into the box and just press "KEEP ME UPDATED" it say "Thanks! We'll keep you updated.".
- When you enter just something, for example "test" it say "Thanks! We'll keep you updated." but the webpage say at the top left (completely other place then the "KEEP ME UPDATED" button that an email address should be entered.
- When you enter a real email and then check this email next 10 minutes, you dont get a confirmation email. You dont get anything. No information that you are now in some "newsletter" or something like that. This causes legal problems in many countries. You are not allowed to just send newsletter to some email addresses you have not proven that they are belonging to the person who really wants the newsletter.
What should be done:
- Dont report "Thanks! We'll keep you updated." when no propper email (or nothing) is been entered.
- Send out a confirmation email and only when the link there got pressed, only then you are allowed to send email to this person.
- All the emails that have been collected till now have to be deleted when you dont want to get into legal problems. You are legally not allowed to contact those people because you cant prove that they have registered by themself.