Android 11 - possible to connect with nearby contact without the location permission - after a dirty shutdown
Steps to reproduce:
Fresh install of Briar on Android 11 device (PIxel 2)(Bulid of 15.4, githash 2ddb7b...)
Go to settings > privacy > permissions manager > camera and verify that the Briar access to camera is denied. Go to settings > privacy > permissions manager > location and verify that the Briar access to location is denied.
- Log into Briar app.
- Tap on + to add a nearby contact
- Tap continue when prompted
- A pop-up dialog asks for user's permission to use the camera. Options are: Allow while using the app, Only this time, and Deny. User choses deny.
- A pop-up dialog asks for user's permission to use the location. Options are: Allow while using the app, Only this time, and Deny. User choses deny.
- A message comes up: "To scan the QR code, briar needs access to the samera. To discover bluetooth devices, Briar needs to access your location. Briar does not store your location or share it with anyone" User taps the button 'Continue'
- Popup dialogs come up again and ask the user's permission... User selects deny again (for both camera and location user had the same options on dialogues as in step 5)
- A message titled 'Camera permission' comes up and says this: "You have denied access to the camera, but adding contacts requires using the camera. Please consider granting access". User has options to Cancel or OK.
- User taps OK
- This action takes the user to the App info screen for Briar app. User goes to permissions > camera and gives the Briar app acess to camera by chosing 'allow while in use'
- User goes to permissions > location and gives the Briar app acess to location by chosing 'allow while in use'.
- Before leaving the previous screen, User then changes their mind and decides to deny Briar access to location- they set Location to denied.
- User navigates back to Briar by tapping the back button several times
- User is logged out of Briar
- User logs back in.
- User should be shown the initial Briar screen (Contacts) and should be able to restart the process of creating nearby contacts?
- The first screen the user sees is: the info screen that explains to user how to scan the QR codes. User taps Continue.
- The previsouly started process of creating the nearby contact (which was started before the logout, in step 2 above) continues successfully, the QR code of another device can be scanned and contact created.
- The location setting for Briar app in privacy > permissions manager > Location = Denied for Briar app.
Question: Is the workflow as described in actual results correct?