Improve text for sharing app offline feature
Maybe linked to #2011 (closed) - if any work by designer needed after review
for the purposes of this ticket, device1 means the device thatopens the hotspot and device2 is the one that will download the app from device1
Screen: Intro Start Sharing
- Existing Text "Your phone will open a local hotspot and provide a small website with a download of this app."
Comment This implies that the download can be done from the device1 – or that device1 can somehow download or push the app onto device 2
Proposed Text Your phone will open a local hotspot and provide an IP address for the other phone to connect to. The other phone will then be able to download the Briar app from your phone.
- Existing Text Button 'Start sharing'
Proposed Text 'Open Local Hotspot'
Screen: Wi-Fi details screen
- Existing Text To download the app on another phone, please connect to this Wi-Fi network
Comment This implies that the user1 needs to connect to the Wi-Fi network – when in reality it is user2 on device2
Proposed Text For another phone to download the Briar app from your phone, it needs to connect to the local hotspot opened by your phone. To do that it needs to add the following Wi-Fi network in its device settings
- Existing Text Button: Start app sharing Comment
Proposed Text 'Generate the IP address'
- Existing Text Instead of adding the network manually, you can also scan a QR code
Comment this implies that the user1 needs to add the network or scan the code – actually it is the user2 who needs to do it Proposed Text Instead of adding the network manually, the other phone can also scan a QR code provided in the QR tab
Existing Text Button: Start app sharing Comment It may not be immediately clear to the user when they need to press this button, so I would add a few words of text... Proposed text After the other device is connected to your hotspot, press the following button to generate the IP address from which it can download the Briar app
Existing Text Button: 'Stop sharing' Comment Proposed text 'Close/delete/cancel the hotspot'
Wi-Fi details screen QR code tab
Existing Text “To download the app on another phone, please scan this QR code to connect to this Wi-Fi network: Comment It is not the user1 on th ephone1 that needs to scan the code, but the user2 on phone2 Proposed Text To be able to download the Briar app from your phone, the other phone needs to scan this QR code. This will connect it to your phone's local hotspot
QR code background cut off?
It seem that the buttons Start app sharing and stop sharing cut the bottom of the QR code background off – maybe not on every device... will check. But on Pixel2 they do. On Nokia 3.1 the cut off area is a bit smaller. On Samsung A01 Core, there is no cut off... the background has nice rounded corners (however, maybe the space between the QR code background and the buttons bellow could be increased?
IP address screen
- Existing Text After you are connected to the Wi-Fi, carefully enter this address in your browser Comment This reads as though the user 1 needs to enter this code, and it is actually the user2 on device2. Proposed Text After the other device is connected to the local hotspot on your phone, it needs to enter this address into its browser
This will open a small website from which they can download the Briar app.
- Existing Text Instead of typing the address manually, you can also scan QR code Comment This is addressed to user1 on device1 and it should be addressed to the user2 ondevice2 Proposed Text Instead of typing the address manually, the other phone can scan the QR code provided in the QR tab
IP address screenQR tab
- Existing text After you are connected to the Wi-Fi scan this QR code to download the app Comment *Proposed Text When the other phone scans this QR code, this action will enter the IP address into its browser.
You need to keep the hotspot on your phone open (by staying on this screen) whilst the donwnload is ongoing. When the other phone has successfully downloaded the Briar app from your phone, you can close this screen by pressing Stop Sharing (or 'Close/delete/cancel hotspot' if button renamed)