1.4 release announcement
New features in 1.4:
- Share Briar offline: From within the app you can share the app to others who don't have it installed
- useful during internet shutdown and natural disasters to bootstrap Briar connectivity in a community if at least one device has Briar already
- uses a wifi hotspot that offers a download of briar to other devices
- Connect via removable drives
- Android phones can use SD cards or flash drives (usually via adapters) to store data
- Briar makes use of that capability to store encrypted messages that can be physically transported to the recipient and imported and decrypted there.
- Messages delivered this way arrive just like they would over WiFi, Bluetooth or Tor.
- RFC 1149 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers
Already released (in 1.3.x):
- connecting via bluetooth (if not working automatically): New Android devices limit Bluetooth use for privacy which requires going through this new connecting feature once to make connections via bluetooth work at all and automatically from there on